If you have decided to buy a retractable awning, then this is a great solution. By choosing to buy awnings, whether it is for your home or business, you add more value to your outdoor space.
The benefits of investing in an awning are many, and in the long run, you will be happy with the choice you make since the shade creates a comfortable place outside for you, your family, or your customers.
But before that, you have an essential task – to choose the right retractable awning, which will not only beautify the entire area of your outdoor living space but will also protect it from the sun’s harmful UV rays.
As we know, the exterior decoration and the furniture inside the building can fade or be damaged by the intense sun. That is why it is essential to take care of them in the best possible way.
There are many things to look for when choosing a retractable awning. If you are buying for the first time, you can undoubtedly feel confused and have difficulty selecting a product.
First of all, I advise you to learn more about the awnings and how they work. In addition, always turn to a professional company that will give you helpful, expert advice so that you find the perfect retractable awning.
Some of the steps in choosing a retractable awning are:
- Choose the type of area you would like to be covered. In this case, there are a few options: deck, patio,windows or doors.
- Specify whether the awning is for residential or commercial use.
- Choose the type of mounting surface that the retractable awning will be attached to. You can choose between wall, soffit/eave/overhang, fascia, floor, rafter, and roof.
- Consider whether the awning or pergola needs to handle a snow load and what should be the level of wind it should withstand when the canopy is fully extended.
- What is the amount of rain that the retractable awning must withstand when extended? Note that the retractable folding lateral arm awnings are only for light rain.
- Choose the fabric and material that the awning will be made of.
- Choose design.
- Seek the help of a professional company that will tell you what the requirements are according to the specifics of your deck or patio.
- And last but not least, choose the perfect size of the retractable awning.
As for the awnings’ size, in this article, I will pay special attention to what sizes retractable awnings are available in.
Types of retractable awning sizes
The size of the retractable awning or retractable pergola is determined by its width and projection from the building to which it is attached.
Other aspects include clearanceheight (underneath), rise (pitch) of a roof, and post or rafter spacing. But they are more important to the professional company, which has the task to plan and review the process.
Width – How wide (left to right) does the installed product need to be?
When we talk about the maximum width of a retractable awning, we must say that it is the outside dimension of the awning frame. It is entirely wrong to measure the actual fabric width. One of the recommendations is the installation of a retractable awning to be on a flat surface.
When measuring your awning, pay special attention to whether there are chimneys, downspouts, light fixtures, or other barriers. It is good to avoid them, but if this is not possible, then, in most cases, you can customize your retractable awning.
The perfect retractable awning is the one whose width is the same as the width of the patio, deck, or existing wall. Of course, that is not always possible, so in some cases, it should be customized. If the width of the deck or patio is extremely wide, personalized solutions are sought.
Thus, for example, you can choose an awning that partially covers a given area, as well as two or more butting awnings that can be installed side by side, but be aware if installed side by side there will be a gap between two or more folding lateral arm awnings.
The folding lateral arm retractable awning width can be:
- 1 to 15 foot (0.30 m- 4.57 m) wide
- 16 to 20 foot (4.87 m – 6.09 m) wide
- 21 to 30 foot (6.40 m to 9.14 m) wide
- 31 to 40 foot (9.44 m to 12.19 m) wide
- 41 to 52 foot wide (12.49 m to 15.84 m) wide
Projection – How far does the product need to project/extend (back to front) if flat/angled or drop (top to bottom) if vertical?
The maximum projection of the retractable awning is the distance from the wall to the front bar. For this purpose, it is necessary to measure the protrusion of your deck or patio floor.
For most awnings, the projection can vary depending on the selected model, and it can be:
- Up to 5 foot (1.52m) projection/drop
- 6 to 10 foot (1.82 m to 3.04 m) projection/drop
- 11 to 15 foot (3.35 m to 4.57 m) projection/drop
- 16 to 20 foot (4.87 m to 6.09 m) projection/drop
- 21 foot to 29 foot (6.40 m to 8.83 m) projection/drop
- Greater than 29 foot (8.83 m) projection/drop
What is their application for each of them?
Today you will find a wide variety of different retractable awning models so that you can choose the perfect solution for your outdoor space.
Regardless of the size of the product and whether it is for your business or home, the primary and most important application of the awning is to provide shade of your outdoor space and provide more comfort for you, your family, or your customers.
The larger the size of the chosen retractable awning, the larger the shadow. It is advisable to adjust the size according to the place where you want to install the awning and your needs.
Can it be made to order in a more non-standard size?
There are cases where the patio or deck is too wide and large, or the place where the client wants to install the retractable awning is more specific. In this regard, questions often arise as to whether the size of a selected product may be non-standard.
Fortunately, there is an option to customize. That means that you can order a retractable awning in a more non-standard or custom size so that it fits perfectly in your outdoor space.
To do this, you need to contact the company of your choice to get professional advice on what size and model are the best options for you to fit in the best possible way.
Which companies offer the best options?
When choosing retractable awning, no less important is the company that will manufacture and install it. In this regard, I recommend that you carefully research any company that offers retractable awnings.
Please pay special attention to the designs, frame , and fabrics from which the products offered are made, as well as the various options they offer along with engineering certifications, cycle testing of the arms,warranties and reputation.
In addition, look for reviews of customers who have used the services. It will help you understand more about a company.
One of the best companies that can offer you fantastic options is Retractableawnings.com. It is a manufacturer, distributor, and installer. The company provides you with best-in-class retractable awnings, as they have various models so you can find the best for your home or business.
All products are high quality, European and that is crucial when it comes to choosing a retractable awning. They use the very best components and vendors in the world.