Large Awnings for Decks, Patios, and More
A large retractable awning is one of the best investments for your home or business. There are many types of large awnings for patios and decks, but your choices don’t end there. Besides choosing an awning type, you’ll need to pay attention to important features to get the best awning.
What Are Large Awnings?
Large and extra-large retractable awnings are suitable for bigger areas. These awnings provide more shade and rain protection for you, your family, or your customers. Large retractable awnings also make outdoor spaces more comfortable. With the right awning, you can relax and spend more time with loved ones during the spring and those sizzling hot summer days.
Fortunately, homeowners and business owners have the opportunity to customize an awning’s size, options, and accessories. These customizations are the perfect way to have the best aesthetics and functionality.
Choosing the Best Large Retractable Awning
There are necessary factors to consider when choosing a large awning. One of the most essential considerations is an awning’s size. No manufacturer offers unlimited size choices per unit, as the maximum width x projection is limited based on weight, dead load, and wind load.
You can determine a retractable awning’s size by determining its width and projection from the building or structure you attach it to. Determine an awning’s width by measuring it from left to right. The ideal width of an awning depends on the width of the space you need it to cover.
A large awning is usually 31 to 40 feet wide (9.44 m to 12.19 m) or 41 to 52 feet wide (12.49 m to 15.84 m). Medium-sized retractable awnings have widths of 21 to 30 feet (6.40 m to 9.14 m).
You have unlimited choices when it comes to awning projection. Maximum projection is the distance from your wall to an awning’s front bar.
Large retractable awnings typically provide:
- 13 to 16 foot (3.96 m to 4.87 m) projection
Large retractable pergolas typically provide:
- 16 to 20 foot (4.87 m to 6.09 m) projection
- 21 to 32 foot (6.40 m to 9.75 m) projection
- Greater than 32 foot (9.75 m) projection
Other Characteristics to Consider When Choosing a Large Awning or Large Pergola
- The type of area you want to cover, including decks, patios, tennis courts, swimming pools,tables/chairs, hot tubs etc.
- Specify whether the product is for residential, commercial, industrial, or institutional use.
- Type of mounting surface: wall, soffit, eave, overhang, fascia, floor, beam, rafter, or roof
- An awning or pergola’s fabric or material
- The awning’s design options and colors
- Does the canopy need to handle a snow load?
- What wind strength should the awning or pergola withstand when partially or fully extended?
- What amount of rain should the awning or pergola withstand when partially or fully extended?
The Production Materials of an Awning
When choosing a large retractable awning, pay special attention to its fabric and frame. Unfortunately, most manufacturers rely on awnings made in China. Unfortunately, China’s awning industry manufactures very low-quality frames, fabrics, and motors. Making matters worse, most of these companies have no engineering or quality certifications so the consumer has no idea what level of quality they are purchasing.
High-quality awnings can be a significant expense—be careful what manufacturer you invest in. I highly recommend avoiding awnings from China. The poor engineering, design, and manufacturing of these awnings and pergolas will affect the longevity of these products and most likely make them dangerous to the end user. Instead, choose high-quality European awnings and pergolas. You’ll pay more, but buying a large retractable awning or large retractable pergola is a long-term investment.
Benefits of Large Retractable Awnings
Buying a big retractable awning offers many benefits for business owners and homeowners.
Several benefits of large awnings are:
- Enormous shadow: Retractable awnings provide so much more than outstanding shade. Awnings are also great for light wind, UV, heat, glare, light rain, and sun protection.
- More comfort: By adding a large retractable awning, there’s a place for you, your family, or your customers to enjoy shade when needed or sunny weather with the press of a button.
- Beautify outdoor living spaces: A retractable awning is an excellent addition to your exterior, giving it more value.
- Extend space for your customers: If you buy an awning for your business, you provide more space for your customers. This customer convenience can have a massive return on investment for you as a business owner.
- Reduces power consumption: When you use retractable awnings, heat stays away from windows, keeping indoor temperatures low and lowering your monthly electricity bills. Electric bills are also lowered in the winter as retractble awnings and pergolas can be closed (retracted) so that heat penetrates the glass allowing a room to attain heat from the sun thus cutting down on the use of a central furnace/central heating or individual heaters.
Who or What Are Large Awnings Best For?
Large retractable awnings are for residential, commercial, institutional, and industrial use. These types of awnings are perfect for homeowners and business owners looking for non-standard-sized awnings. Some manufacturers offer a wide variety of awnings made in custom sizes.
You’ll find large outdoor awnings specified and used by:
- Interior and exterior designers
- Landscape architects
- General contractors and builders
- Golf course driving ranges
- And more
RetractableAwningsReviews.com is a website featuring detailed product information, honest reviews, and opinions from homeowners and business owners regarding awning and pergola – service, products, installation, and guidance.
Note: The previously mentioned products and services only relate to retractable awnings and retractable patio pergola covers.
With over 40 years of experience as a manufacturer, distributor, and installer of retractable awnings and pergolas, I can say there’s a lot of misinformation about awnings and pergolas online. These websites often confuse fixed, stationary and permanent awnings, further complicating buying retractable ones.
There are many things to look out for when purchasing large awnings. That’s why it’s essential to know awnings well. The awning company or pergola company you choose is also crucially important. The best awning companies are licensed and experienced businesses offering high-quality awnings, pergolas and more.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
RetractableAwningsReviews.com helps you find out more about any large awning that interests you. You’ll also learn more about essential awning fabrics, engineering certifications and components. This website also provides information about the best companies offering large retractable awnings from our collection of honest customer reviews.
This website provides helpful information about all retractable awnings, pergolas, and screens. You can also read honest customer reviews and opinions about awning services, products, installation, and guidance.
With over four decades of experience, I help every homeowner or business owner find the perfect large awning or awning company that suits their needs.