RETRACTABLE AWNING REVIEWS FROM AROUND THE GLOBE
RETRACTABLE FOLDING ARM AWNING COMPANY / MODEL REVIEWS
RETRACTABLE PATIO COVER PERGOLA COMPANY / MODEL REVIEWS
The Most Reviewed Models
These models are reviewed most by the public.
Shadetree Shan retractable awning
KE Durasol / KE Outdoor SunCassette retractable awning
Continental folding lateral arm retractable awnings
Sunsetter Motorized retractable awning
Awnings are an amazing way to spruce up the look of your house or business. They can reduce heat and glare on outdoor areas, or help keep inside spaces cool.
The functionality of this product depends on some key features. When choosing patio awnings for your home or company, you need to consider the type or style of the awning, the shade material, and the mechanics of use that best suit your needs. The size of the awning, its shape, and its angle/pitch are other considerations that affect how effective the model will be.
Whether using an awning for weather-related protection, to improve the aesthetics of your home or business, or to advertise, the following information will be helpful.
What features you should consider when choosing an awning?
Type or Style
- Permanent: attached to the building, solid frame, year-round, no storage issues, require less maintenance, less flexible, may require a building permit – for example, a gazebo, trellis or pergola cover.
- Stationary: stays in one location, usually fixed to a building, usually ready for use, often seasonal and less permanent, the fabric can be removed but time-consuming – for example a fixed frame window or door awning.
- Retractable: more flexible, only out when needed, less permanent, attached to a building or free-standing, movable parts, no maintenance – a patio sun lateral arm retractable awning for example.
- Freestanding: attached to a building but a deck, flexible location, can be permanent or temporary, generally portable, solid framework, can have fixed or retractable fabric – a retractable pergola is an example.
- Fabric: awning fabric comes in cotton canvas, acrylic and solution dyed acrylic, polyester, vinyl or blended materials and is durable, easy to clean. Some qualities, such as mildew/fire/water resistant, waterproof and lightweight may vary by fabric. Some fibers have better resistance to dust and dirt.
- Metal: aluminum or steel louvers or plates, more permanent and less flexible than fabric, waterproof, mildew and fire resistant, durable, easy to clean.
- Wood: less flexible and more permanent, louvers or roof, more maintenance, durable.
- Color: complimentary to your home or business, deflect or attract heat, small patterns for small structures, large patterns for larger structures, aesthetically pleasing.
- UV Protection: reducing UV penetration reduces heat underneath the canopy or inside the buildings creating a more comfortable environment, and prevents fading of furniture, flooring, draperies etc.
- Solid: reduces light penetration, creates a viewing barrier, easier to waterproof, provides more protection from airborne debris.
- Permeable: increased light penetration, increased viewing, less susceptible to windy conditions, not waterproof, quicker drying, less obstructive.
- Manual: requires physical effort to turn the louvers, extend (open) or retract (close) the canopy, move or roll-up the awning.
- Motorized: use electric motors instead of human power to operate the canopy at the flick of a switch or with a remote control, smartphone or tablet.
- Automated – sun, wind, motion and rain sensor mechanisms that automatically open or close the awning, so it operates and your outdoor living area or commercial space is protected even when you’re not there.
- Awning size: depends on the area requiring shade, or rain protection, the direction it faces, or the number of doors and windows requiring shade – a 10 to 13-foot projection for east or west-facing buildings is usually enough for a patio set.
- Shape: rectangular, square, semi-circular, triangular, arched, or a combination are the common shapes.
- Angle: affects the amount of light and sun penetration at different times of the day and season, reduces UV heating through windows protected with awnings, and naturally sheds light or heavy precipitation (varies by product type).
What are the types of retractable & patio awnings?
- Patio and deck lateral arm awnings, pergola covers, retractable louvered roofs, rotating louver roofs, canopies, and side or drop arm awnings.
- Screens (vertical awnings).
- Electric, motorized, automated or manual operation.
- Fabric canopies or glass louvers or polycarbonate.
- Usually permanently attached to a building.
- Porch, balcony, deck, or window dressing or protection.
- Wooden, metal, acrylic, polycarbonate or glass roofs or glass louvers or fabric canopies.
- Often attached to a deck or patio, but can be portable (varies by product type).
- Pergola, trellis, gazebo, vehicle shelters, outdoor kitchen or BBQ shelters.
- Fixed or retractable canopy.
- Need to be securely anchored due to wind.
- The frame is aluminum, metal, wood or PVC; cover is often wood, fabric, glass, metal, polycarbonate, aluminum or fabric.
Who needs a retractable awning?
Homeowners and business can benefit from the best retractable awnings. Whether attached to their building or freestanding, retractable products offer protection when needed, but can disappear when not required. The product protects you or your client from the environment but can be easily stored to protect it from the environment too.
How to find the best retractable awning?
The information above will help you decide what type and style of awning you want. To find the best quality retractable awning though you’ll need to read some retractable awning reviews. Check out the retractable awning brands online. The best awning company will have the most impressive patio awning reviews.
If there’s a local expert talk to them about who makes the best retractable awnings. Can you install it yourself or do you need a professional? Use the reviews on this website and the experts to find out who offers the best warranty, and what is included with the product; some come with mounting brackets, others don’t. If a company allows you to connect with clients who wrote retractable patio awning reviews, contact them. This all will help you make the right choice and feel happy with the product.