Retractable Awning Installation
Many homeowners choose to install a retractable awning instead of building permanent structures to create a pleasant and cool outdoor living space at their residences. The reasons are many: after all, retractable awnings are a less expensive and stylish solution to implement and have numerous benefits.
One of the primary reasons why so many homeowners prefer them is the ease of installation. In today’s article, I will shed light on retractable awning installation and if it is possible to do it all by yourself.
Can you install a retractable awning yourself?
The short answer is ‘Yes, you can.’ The long answer is, ‘Yes, you can, but it’s not preferable unless you have handy skills, safety gear, another pair of hands (a helper) and all necessary tools to achieve the installation.’
Keep in mind that goes for retractable manual awnings. If you purchase an electric (motorized) retractable awning or retractable roof, you will not need an electrician to set it up as motor technology no longer requires the motor to be hardwired. Motors nowadays are simply plugged into a standard 110v GFI outlet and usually come with the three prong plug on the end of the cable.
I understand that most people want to save money, and you might be thinking that installing a retractable awning for a deck or patio is not so complicated that you’d need professional help.
However, there are many things to consider, including if the place where you want to install it can hold the weight of the awning.
Consider that some vendors offer installation free of charge for their products or work with local professional awning installers. Choosing such a vendor will save you time and reduce the risk of injury, improper mounting or awning damage.
How much does it cost to install a retractable awning or retractable roof?
If you choose a DIY method, your costs will be as low as buying/renting all the necessary equipment and the retractable awning or retractable roof. Your vendor will send an installation manual together with your purchase.
However, suppose you want a professional installation, and your vendor doesn’t offer a free service. In that case, your installation cost can be anywhere between $350 and $1,000 for a retractable awning and between $2,000 and $5,000 for a retractable pergola or retractable/rotating louvered roof pergola, and it greatly depends on the size of the awning, electricity, side panels, etc. Nevertheless, the average installation price for a retractable awning is +-$500 and for a retractable pergola is +-$3,700.
How do you attach a retractable awning to a house?
Before you start, it’s crucial to consider the safety measures you need to take throughout the process.
They include the following things :
- Wear protective equipment, especially shatterproof eyewear
- Tie the retractable arms firmly, and don’t release them until the instructions tell you to do so. This will prevent bodily harm from the spring-loaded retractable awning arms.
- Ensure safety gear and temporary structures are in good condition
- Make sure only workers are in the work zone (no kids, adults, pets)
- Do not place objects on top of the fabric
- Do not hang from the awning or stand on the frame
- Always follow the instruction manual
- There is no need to call an electrician for motorized awnings (motors, controls, sensors, lighting, etc.) as the motors don’t need to be hardwired, and all other controls and lighting are low voltage.
Before you start
Before installing your retractable awning on your home’s wall/soffit/etc., there are a few things to consider.
Like for example :
- Think about where you want your awning to be installed and where it can be installed
- Evaluate the installation surface/substrate to which it will attach
- Make sure there are no obstructions in the area
- Choose strong structures that can withstand the awning’s weight and loads
- Think about how high you want the overhead space to be
- Make sure that there is at least one other person who will help you
Tools you’ll need
The tools you will need are :
- Tape measure
- Electric hand drill
- Socket wrench
- Fasteners (the type and size will depend on the substrate you are attaching to)
- Silicone caulking
- Chalk line
- Stud finder (if needed)
- Line level
Follow the following guidelines :
- Make an inventory of all available parts
- The measurements of the height, width and projection of the awning
- Calculate the pitch and then adjust as needed during the installation
- Mark the ends of the hood/cover and its desired location
- Find the studs and their centers. This assumes the home or building is wood framed
- Mark the spots where you will mount the brackets on each stud. This assumes the home or building is wood framed
- Drill the holes
- If you have made any inaccurate test holes, fill them, install and secure the brackets.
- Attach the awning torsion or square bar and hood
- Put the retaining bolts in and secure the awning
- If it’s motorized, plug in the motor and other electrical parts
- Test the awning
Are retractable awnings a good idea?
Retractable awnings have a wide range of applications, from protection from the sun and damaging UV rays to light rain protection and possibly adding privacy to a property. Anyone can benefit from a retractable awning, including homeowners and business owners.
They provide functionality, protection from the elements, and outdoor living space, reducing your energy bills during summer and winter.
How to find a retractable awning installation company?
You can find a retractable awning installation company by contacting your vendor or looking into local offers online.
How do Retractable Awnings Reviews work?
Retractable Awnings Reviews is an independent website that provides information about retractable products, services and companies. Here you can find company and product ratings based on communal non-sponsored and unbiased reviews.
Why should I choose you to find my retractable awning installation company?
Although Retractableawningsreviews.com doesn’t specialize in reviews of individual installers or installation companies, you can find information about retractable awning vendors and manufacturers. Thus, you can discover if the vendor you’re interested in offers installation services or if you’ll need to organize it yourself. To locate an independent, individual installer, take a look at https://www.awninginstallers.com/
What if I’m not satisfied with the services?
If you are not satisfied with the services of the vendors mentioned on this website, feel free to contact me, and I’ll try to assist you with further information and advice.
How to contact you?
You can contact me on my website’s contact form.