Considering buying a retractable awning, retractable pergola or retractable/rotating louver roof? You are in the right place. Buying a high quality awning is a significant investment that you can expect to use for many years. The advantages of having a retractable awning, retractable pergola or retractable/rotating louver roof whether for residential or commercial use, are many.
Тhe most essential among them are that it:
- Provides shade
- Provides either light rain protection (water resistant retractable folding lateral arm awning) or heavy rain and hail protection (waterproof retractable fabric pergola), or heavy rain, hail and snow protection (waterproof rotating or retractable louvered roof)
- Makes outdoor space a cozier place for you, your family, and your customers
- Protects outdoor and indoor furniture from harmful UV rays
- Reduces electricity bills
- Adds more value to your outdoor living space
What to look for when buying retractable awnings?
Choosing the perfect retractable awning, retractable pergola or rotating/retractable louver roof system is a task that you need to consider carefully. It is a long-term investment, and the proper operation of the product is essential to take advantage of all the great benefits it offers. What should one look for when buying outdoor awnings?
When choosing a canopy, you need to consider some things and ask yourself a few important questions, namely:
- Choose the area(s) that should be covered.
You have three options to choose from according to your needs, namely:
- Window, door or to cover the sides of a pergola, gazebo, or pavilion;
- Deck or patio, or other open areas;
- Side(s) of a RV, camper, trailer, or bus.
- What will be the type of use—residential, commercial, institutional, or industrial?
- Does the retractable awning, retractable pergola or retractable/rotating louver roof need to handle light rain or heavy rain and/or hail and/or snow load?
- What type of mounting surface (a/k/a substrate) will the awning, pergola or louver roof be attached to?
The mounting surface types are:
- Consider whether you want your awning, pergola or louver roof to be attached or freestanding.
- Choose the level of wind strength (Beaufort wind scale) that the product must withstand when partially or fully extended.
- Consider what the average amount of rain will be that the retractable awning, pergola or louver roof must withstand. Note that folding lateral arm retractable awnings are not designed for heavy rain. That means it is not advisable to leave a folding lateral arm awning partially or fully extended when there are storms, as they may damage the product and stop the awning from working correctly.
- Choose the right size. Pay special attention to the width, which is measured from left to right, and the projection, the distance from the wall to the front bar. You will find a variety of standard sizes (mostly from China and of poor quality), and also, companies that offer the opportunity to customize (products from Europe and of excellent quality) your awning, pergola or louver roof (customizing is highly recommended).
- Choose retractable awning or retractable pergola fabric. It is essential to choose high-quality material. Think about the primary function and coordinate the fabric with the paint color , interior, and exterior to add more style to your outdoor space.
How to determine the right time?
With everything you need to look for when choosing a retractable awning, pergola or louver roof, the question indeed arises: When is the best time to install it? In short, we can say that it depends on various factors.
The models of retractable awnings that you will find are various, some of them are suitable for spring and summer, and others can be used during the winter season. That is why it is essential to consider whether they have to withstand snow load, light or heavy rain, and light or heavy wind.
However, since the primary purpose of using retractable awnings is to provide shade, protect from harmful UV rays, and make your outdoor space more comfortable, one of the best periods for installing a retractable product is between February and September.
The period before spring is perfect for refreshing your home, cafe, pub, clubhouse, restaurant, or hotel. With the addition of a retractable awning, you will prepare your outdoor space for the upcoming hot sunny days.
After or during maintenance or repair?
Installing a retractable awning is refreshing and adds more value to your home or business. If you want to make repairs to your home or business and buy an awning, it is normal to ask yourself when to install the product—after or during the maintenance or repair.
It is essential to share that the retractable awning installation must be on a flat surface. That means that there should be no barriers such as chimneys, downspouts, light fixtures, etc.
If something would make it difficult to install the awning, it is good to consider removing it. But in case there is no way to attach the awning, do not worry, reputable companies with many years experience most likely offer customized product and installation options.
And as for when to install the retractable awning, it certainly depends on the type of repair or maintenance you do. What I would advise you is to consult with the company that will install your awning. After consultation and inspection, in person or using provided photos, they will share their professional opinion and give you expert advice.
During the summer, winter, spring, or fall?—Pros and cons for each season you chose to buy them
Indeed, each season has its pros and cons when buying a retractable awning. Spring is one of the most preferred seasons for buying and installing the product. That is usually the period in which most people decide to renovate their home or business.
In addition, when warm days approach, everyone wants to provide extra covered space outside, whether for home or business. Installing an awning on your home will give you a place where you can gather with your family and friends in the spring and hot summer days.
And if you have a cafe, restaurant, hotel, clubhouse, pub or bistro, for example, it will expand your site with additional space for your customers, thus increasing your sales revenue.
The most significant disadvantage of installing an awning in the spring and summer is that this period is the busiest for retractable awning companies, which means that the process of purchase and installation may be slower.
On the other hand, however, fall and winter are not the typical seasons for buying retractable awnings but lower pricing and/or free items like a free motor or free wind sensor for example are more likely to be offered.
In winter, the interest of customers is less, which means that the company can have more time, and the whole process associated with the installation of the product may be faster. On the other hand, the biggest negative is that you cannot take full advantage of the product’s benefits.
However, a retractable awning’s purchase is important, and the period in which to do so depends on some factors. It is crucial to consider your needs and the purpose of using the awning.
I recommend that you discuss each question with a reputable retractable awning company with years of professional experience that sells European products so that they will be able to offer you the best solution.